Sunday, September 24, 2006

Now You See It....



This is my Fleece Artist mohair (and silk?) nursing shawl. You can't quite see it, but at the bottom is the needle it's (still) on. Megan is 10 months old.
Last year I went to the Kitchener-Waterloo Knitting Fair to look for some lovely yarn to make a nursing shawl. I shopped around, and was at a booth finally trying to decide between two different shades of Zephyr (blues) or possibly some other Fleece Artist stuff, when suddenly this skein of Fleece Artist mohair appeared from behind the curtain and was put on the table right in front of me. Everyone around me said it was destiny and I must have it; it would look great with my hair....it followed me home.
But a mohair nursing shawl? Yes, I needed a shawl, my spot in her room was cold. I had enough time, until I ran into a problem with the intial pattern. Fine, created my own. But mohair? Or, even yarn? My nursing pillow has a wonderful strip of Velcro to hold it on....Velcro vs. yarn is never a good thing.
The temperatures warmed up, we sold our house, we moved, the temperatures warmed some more....
Megan is still nursing, but the shawl....I don't know. I put it on, and realize that the only part you really see the pattern is on my back....so that makes it sideways. It doesn't match on the two fronts---one goes upwards, one goes downwards...
This is the way it looks while being knit. It's got some bright patches, some dark patches, reds, almost pink, dark red....I do like the colours.
But what to do? I'm not a shawl person yet, and this doesn't make me feel like becoming one (which I do want to become). I have another mohair sweater that I've been working on for ...three? years....I'm not really a sweater person either anymore, unless we're at my parents :) This yarn would look good on my mom, but I'm not sure she's a mohair sweater person either. We have two burgany afghans already.
If I knew someone with the same yarn or similiar yarn that would like to trade....I haven't used the whole skein, and I'll frog this and steam it a little too and wind it into a lovely ball.....
Or does anyone have any other ideas of what to do with it? I'm tired of seeing it right now. I could frog it and make any number of shawl patterns out there right now, but I don't know if that's the answer. Or should I buy some more shawl yarn and start fresh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is there enough yarn to make it a very thick scarf, and you can do a loop around your neck over a coat? Is it too wide for that? It's a really gorgeous pattern and colour, it'd be a shame to undo it.