Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ooohhh Baby!

I don't get too excited by knitting patterns too often. Yes, I do see lots of 'nice' patterns, and I do see lots of patterns that are very interesting but I won't knit, but I don't see a lot of interesting AND nice AND knitable.

Last week I took Huey to the library and I stopped by the knitting section. Somehow there was a new book there that I had never seen in the new book section at the front of the library!


"Greetings From Knit Cafe" by Suzan Mischer. The cover says "30 Original Designs Included" so I wondered what kind of knitting book it was if including patterns needed special mention. And, as I expected, just like any knitting book written by a yarn store owner, the yarns are all expensive yarn store yarns, LOL. But that never stops me!
It starts out rather ho-hum...a ribbed scarf, a beret, boxer shorts, hiking socks, plain sweater, a computer keyboard cover, a felted saddle blanket using 14 skeins of Kureyon (!), a plain afghan using 9 balls of Blue Sky Alpacas....and then I turn the page and see this little delight:

"Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater, or the best-fitting, no seam, reversible baby sweater".

It's actually on the baby in the picture backwards...the two triangle flaps have long ties that go around to the back. Tie in a bow for a girl, tie in a knot for a boy! I'm really close to ripping out the new Baby Surprise Sweater in stockinette (it's usually in garter st) that I started under peer pressure of a KAL two weeks ago. I find it hard to find boy sweaters--I love to do little lacey things, so boy sweaters are either cables or depend on the yarn or sweater design, and the James Brett Marble would look great for this one (depending on the gauge, I'll have to check). Oh, it's not totally seamless, but close enough.

There are some nice patterns in this book--some simple and classic, some more fashionable. There is the skirt on the cover, and two dresses. One is a pretty, frothy pale pink number, unfortunately, in the picture, the charming cake is in focus and the dress is a pink blur. There are schematics, but I like seeing photos of the items on their own. THere's also this dress:

If I had 8 hanks of Fiesta La Luz 100% silk and a chest suitable for a 36" finished measurement, I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time knitting this number! LOL. It's pretty, but I'm not sure it's suitable for leaving the house, let alone going to pick up the kids after school ;)

No comments: