So...This is the SweetSheep superwash BFL I bought at the K-W Knitter's Fair, 2008 (didn't get to go this year, only the 2nd time I've missed in all the years I've been going, and I started going their 3rd or 4th year!). If you scroll back to last September, you can see what it looked like before I wound it. Totally different!!
It looked so bright and contrasty in the skein. The above picture is with flash, the below picture is without flash. There was a very obvious knot 1/2 way through the 800 yds, so I have two balls. I knew I needed a pattern that either had a very simple repeating design, to blend the colours, or large patches of no design, to show the colours. I was intrigued by the "Sweet Lily" shawl in Interweave Knits awhile ago. It's a half circle, made with short row wedges. Something that's very popular with machine knitting. I knew the short row section would be fine for this yarn as it would blend the colours nicely.
However, the two edgings at the outer bottom....Not so great. The lace design was quite hidden. I also found that the lace didn't need much stretching open, and doing so tended to make the solid bits open up too much. I was using 5mm or maybe 5.5mm.
So I ripped! Then I lost one of the balls. Got sidetracked with moving. Blah, blah, blah. Then I found the second ball and started a different shawl. Moonlight Sonata from www.elann.com. That's going pretty good....now. Rough start. But let's save that for another day, because I can blog on a regular basis now!!!!