Thursday, October 04, 2012

Sweet and Simple

I couldn't wait to share this blankie with you.  It's not fussy, difficult, creative, or special (yet) but I think it's because it's not any of those things, that I want to share it.  It's nice to get back to basics once in awhile.
I started with the mitered square blanket from Eileen Montgomery.  I have made this before (scroll down to the end), but I can't find the original post.  With the original pattern, you short row by putting one needle out of work and knit two rows.  I found that this doesn't quite make a square (though at a loose gauge, it could probably be blocked fairly close).  While knitting the Bill King Boleros, I thought about how the 3 needles in work, 1 out of work pattern gave a stitch and row gauge that were very close to being equal.  I wanted to try knitting the blanket using that idea. 

Well, I forgot that when I cast on, LOL.  So, I decided to try another way that's been mentioned online.  Put one needle out of work, knit two rows, put two needles out of work, knit two rows.  This more closely replicates the 2/3 or 3/4 stitch to row gauge of stockinette knitting.  My biggest challenge was trying to keep track of 1 vs 2 needles, LOL, but if you don't get disturbed, this blanket could be done in two hours, I'm estimating.  Then it's time for the trim!
The original pattern suggests a giant pie crust trim.  I wanted to re-visit a Mary Anne Oger trim that I had done before (Knitwords 41, Summer 2007 and also "Knitting on the Edge"). I was heading to the MK group I go to once a month, so I packed it all up to take.  I wish I had had the chance to try the edging before I left as it took me a bit of time to figure it out again.  It's not nearly as fast as the worm or pie crust trims, but it is quite cute and perhaps a bit more boy-ish than the loopy trims.  It took me a week to finish the trim, but that's only because life got in the way.  A good solid day at the machine would have had it done.
 This edging really needs to be steamed.  You can see the steamed part in the upper center, and compare it to the right edge.
 And from the back side, you can see how the trim sort of rolls where it's joined.  Below, the steamed part is the upper right edge.
 All steamed!  I wasn't too thrilled about this yarn--an old Sears yarn, 100% acrylic.  It had a sort of dry feel.  I washed it before steaming, since it was such an old yarn and had been hanging around my basement, my knitting bag, and who knows where before I got it.  That helped the feel, but the steaming really improved it even more.
 It's 30" square, not including the trim.  I used 60 sts, T7.  I forgot that by putting two needles out of work, it would mean "using up the stitches with fewer rows" so that makes it smaller.  Next time I'll use at least 75 sts.  That's another reason I wanted the wider trim.

The trim is done with the right side on the wrong side of the blanket.  This creates a contrast on both sides of the blanket, making it not really having a wrong side.
Into the sale bin it goes ($30)!  I still have more than enough of this yarn to do another blanket, but I think I'll do some clothes for a change.

Yarn In:  14 828gr
Yarn Out:  234gr +13 267= 13 501gr
Balance:  1327gr more In than Out
Costs:  $317.59/284 days = $1.12/day

No comments: