Friday, September 06, 2013

Bits and Bobs

I wrote, back in early summer, how I was doing a craft sale for the first time in a long time.  It was an outdoor arts festival in a park in downtown Oshawa.  For those of you not in the area, Oshawa is the home to GM.  It's mainly working-class, around 125 000 people, and like many big cities, the downtown is host to most of the city's disadvantaged folk, due to access to services, etc.  However, there is also lots that is great about the downtown, and this park sort of brings it all together.  The festival offered cheap table rentals, we could pick our own spot, and was supposed to go 10am-10pm.  Well, table handout would start at 10.

We got there a bit early (on-street parking only, not much available...) and picked a shady spot.  Got our table, got everything set up.  My table seemed bigger than the advertised 6ft, but that was good as I had a lot of stuff.  I had been afraid of not having enough, though no one can tell you exactly what that means.

Despite it being a large park, I ended up next to two other knitter/crocheters/sewers.  We had a variety of things between us, but still, I think this put us all at a disadvantage (one also had beaded jewelry).  I had asked the organizers when I booked my spot if they control the number of vendors for each type of "art" and they said no, but there wasn't much else in my field.  We three were not the only fiber artists there, either, but the others were more spread out.

We didn't stay till 10pm.  Sales were slow.  Very slow.  Almost to the point of non-existent.  I did cover my table rental though.  However, I think my kids used all my profits (and then some) at the table with the beaded jewelry.  The woman had a daughter my youngest's age, and they sort of buddied up, and I think her mom took advantage of her daughter and she (the daughter) was constantly coming over to us, showing my girls items and "offering" them "special" prices, and even a couple free items later in the afternoon.  I offered her a water bottle holder to give to her mom.  Her mom didn't want it (?!) and gave it to the girl.  She kept swinging it around and eventually the strap pulled out :(  I did give her another one, but I was getting really annoyed.  Didn't want to have bad karma though...

Anyway, here's some pictures of our booth. 

 I did sell that brown hat on the right!  I was really glad too; I had made it a long time ago and it was too large for me.  It had won a 1st place ribbon in the Orangeville Fall Fair!  I wish I had a better picture of it though.  I sewed a leopard print ribbon to it, and had made a multi-looped bow with long tails at the back.
Had a hard time keeping the "posters" on the posts, the breeze kept sending them floating away.  I tried putting them on these little picture easels I had bought, but even with the (light) cardboard behind the poster, they still were too flimsy.  Click on the picture to make it larger...maybe you'll see something you'd like to buy?  :)

Here's some pictures of a few "pre-blog" items.  If you're interested in anything, let me know!


Newborn crocheted beanie with ruffle trim, $10
Simple newborn cap, $7
Fancy bonnet.  I'm not sure this one is for sale; I think I found the sweater that goes with it and my daughter wore it so it'll be kept (I think I made the bonnet later though).  However, I can replicate it quite easily.  I love making "vintage" bonnets!
3 month sun hat, $10
Mini-work socks!  I always loved making these.  I have a home for these ones, but would love to make more, any size, $20+

I'm pretty sure I showed this hat a long time ago when I was learning to use my Singer 327 with the ribber set up.  Keep in mind that it wouldn't be so droopy if you have hair!  I should find a wig (do have a couple) for my head!  $25
 Close up of the top of the hat

Assorted baby balls.  Not intended for pets--too large for most cats and would be shredded by most dogs.  Not practical to ship, but could be done (FoodSaver vacuum sealing to the rescue?).  $7 each.

No comments: