Did you get tired of all my mitten posts last winter? Well, I'm back at it this year! Especially since my favourite pair seems to be misplaced at my aunt's house (I hope that's where!). My SIL also asked for a pair of warm mitts, so I'm trying out ideas.
In the past, I had seen felted mitten patterns, for e knitting machine, but they seemed too bulky. Then I was reading a blog and she had made felted mittens from worsted weight yarn and they didn't have a bulky look, from what I could tell. I thought I'd give them a go.
Of course, I wasn't going to do a swatch. I measured after, and yes, my tension was a bit off, but hey. They're being felted! The big mistake I made was that after the ribbing, I missed going from T6 to T8 before the thumb gusset. I noticed after taking off the thumbs, and just moved it right up to T8. In the end, I liked the tighter wrist area but the thumb gussets needed stretching.
They went very quickly and even sewing up didn't take too long.
I was surprised at how long the Patons Classic Wool took to felt this time. It used to felt very easily! I know they changed it from 100% merino and maybe this was new stock.
Yarn In: 16 153gr
Yarn Out: 77gr + 15 234gr = 15 311gr
Balance: 842gr more brought IN than out
Costs: $378.91/365 days = $1.04/day