Most of it was pretty easy knitting. The lengthy part is the assembly and stuffing. The knit pattern involved a lot of little pieces, which many people had done in crochet instead. The real charm of the pattern was the use of pipe cleaners to add structure to the wings. They were optional, but I knew they should be done.
The head spikes were an issue. It was hard to find pictures that showed exactly how all eight spikes were supposed to be sewn on. I ended up crocheting the smallest ones and I think I did the medium ones as i-cords. While knitting the body (be sure to stuff as you go!), it would have been easy to put a few markers in to help with sewing on the wings, legs, and head spikes. I got my stuffed animal start with Jean Greenhowe patterns, and she uses markers.
It was hard lining up all the wings. I was particularly disappointed in the pattern with the small wings and tail fins. It didn't tell you how to align them...if the cast on was the lower edge, or what.
A little text on the picture would have helped. The fins did seem to be symmetrical triangles, so I did the best I could. Also, as I was done the sewing in the pipe cleaners, and "wrapping a row with yarn", I used the ends to wrap around the edge stitches for a bit more "oomph".
The pipe cleaners...the pattern didn't say how many, or how long! This should have been included in the pattern!! The store had only one length, but I bought an assorted pack of colours so I could get both black and brown. I nearly ran out of the black ones. And, there are two sewn into the wing tubes, and one is supposed to reach from halfway down the wing tube to the very tip of the wing. Well, mine didn't. I had to overlap a second one.
One other little detail. The pattern said to sew around a row of stitches. That was it for the instruction. Well, very quickly you realize you don't just follow a row of stitches, you have to angle away. No biggie, but you know...some people care about good instructions.
I used an entire 100gr ball of Bernat "Waverly". The sewing on the pipe cleaners and over sewing the rows took a lot of yarn. In fact, on the fins and tail I used other yarn, and also for the claws. I wish I had done all the over sewing and sewing the pipe cleaners with a different yarn. That would have given a bit of nice detail. I also think that it needs the back "lumps". Since it was stuffed as it was knit, it was hard to get an idea of how much yarn it really used. I'm going to say 150grams. I had a lot of little ends snipped off since it was annoying to use long lengths of yarn for the detail sewing.
Yarn In: 5493gr
Yarn Out: 150gr + 2040gr = 2190gr
Balance: 3303 gr more brought IN than out
Cost: $307.72/188days = $1.64/day