Friday, June 15, 2018

When In Doubt, Dishcloth.

Or socks.
You know, for those odd balls of yarn you just don't know what to do with.
Years ago, I had an idea to knit a cotton babywearing pouch sling on my knitting machine. Couldn't be too hard. Short rows form the pouch curve. The hard part was determining the length because you can't try it on, with a baby, until it's sewn together.  Of course, I wanted to graft the seam so it was invisible and comfortable.
This was all a bad idea. Pouch slings are tricky to size anyway.
Don't even remember if I was doing this for my own baby, who is now 12, or another.
I used a giant ball of Handicrafter cotton yarn.
Going through my bins, found it, and decided to rip it apart and make dishcloths. Because nothing else in that yarn ever works.
Did I mention I grafted the open cast on to the last raw row?
Gave up on finding that and just snipped a random row at the shoulder, unpicked it, and went to town.

I assume I did these on my SK155 as that's the only machine set up right now. Don't ask me the tension.
Wait a second. These were handknit. I started with one of the old fashioned ones. I knit them loose so that when they were washed, they'd shrink, but not get stiff. The top right, I got creative but the increases at the centre weren't quite right so it doesn't lay flat. The bottom left ended up being too big for a dishcloth. It's kind of halfway between a dishcloth  and a towel. Won't hang on my stove handle, but is a big soppy mess if used as a dishcloth.

I must have made these while sick/recovering in Feb/March. The two old fashion ones took 25gr each, the funky square was 35gr and the big one was 57gr. All total, 142gr.

Yarn In:     100gr
Yarn Out:      176gr+142gr=318gr
Balance:     218gr OUT
Costs:     $2.53/165 days= $0.015/day

No comments: