Friday, September 07, 2018

I Spy a Spoxxy!

What is a Spoxxy? It is a very popular tank top pattern by Stitch Upon a Time that went out of print awhile ago. Why did they retire it when so many people kept requesting it? I don't know. They finally brought it back for a very short time, so I snatched it up. Then, a couple months later, they brought it back again--updated and with dress options. Luckily, once you purchase a pattern, if it gets updated, you get the new version free!

I made this version for Megan when I first got it--before the updates (which apparently changed the armholes slightly). She likes it. She didn't want the bottom band.
 The yoke piece is white athletic mesh. Well, actually, it's leftover wicking mesh from diaper making, but we won't tell her that.
I think I made the medium. It seems a bit snug around that arm, however, as a pre-teen, it can be hard to fit patterns. We've had gaping problems in the past with necklines, and this doesn't have that. She really liked it. Her friends were amazed I made it! Since this picture she got her hair cut quite a bit shorter!

I made myself one too, using the scraps left from the purple/brown/white polka dot fabric. I did a white waistband. I didn't do a FBA because everyone said it has great ease. Well. The top looked like crap on me. Truly. It was a total fit and fashion disaster. I ended up taking the white band off to use as a waistband on a pair of shorts for Megan. Those turned out great.

Then the revised version was released (check the link at the top of the blog), and I liked the dress. I wasn't sure about the elastic waist, and all that gathering at the front. I don't have a long torso and to gather all that fabric needed to go over the bust, at the waist? No thanks.

I had found this awesome maxi dress at Value Village. I loved the colours. It was a little more than I like to spend ($13.99) but it was in great shape and a rayon-spandex blend. It wasn't quite wide enough though, so that gives you an idea of the volume of the dress. Also, I don't think the dress has a back seam, but my "fabric" did. The yoke is plain black cotton-lycra. I'm not sure what size I did, but I did not do a FBA. I think I might add just a smidge next time.

I created a shelf bra. I was following a sew along in a SUAT sew along group and she showed how to do it--plus I had already done it before. Somehow though I didn't make the bra long enough in the front, and it caused this ripple below the neck band:



And here's the fixed version:
 The sew along group leader was a great help in figuring out the bra needed to be longer. I took off the elastic at the front, and added an almond shaped piece to the front, then re-did the elastic. It worked! The seam is just below my bust apex, more on the lower portion, so it doesn't show (and the print fabric helps).



 I did have to re-do the pockets in a lighter weight fabric. I wanted them to not stretch, but the fabric was making the dress hang weird. I measured the pockets against my phone, but it's odd. The phone technically fits, but it angles outwards and still sticks out past the opening. Dont' know how to fix that.

What  I like about this dress is that it is fitted through the bust but then really flares out. At first my mom said it makes me look larger, but I showed her how it was so loose and flowy, so obviously I couldn't be as large as the dress! Great for those fluctuating size days! The key is to be fitted through the shoulders and bust so the extra ease at the waist looks intentional. If the bust and shoulders are too large, the whole thing just looks messy.
 Apparently I don't have a picture of me wearing it? Here I am at my parent's (it's kind of like being at a cottage). The down side with dresses? Once it gets cold. I did even put on pants underneath by the time it got dark. I have since made a light grey cardi that will make this dress school friendly. Considering that you can't see my bra straps, I guess it could be school friendly already! It is super comfortable and I wear it lots on the hot days when I just don't want a bra. Wore it yesterday but didn't get a picture. I will update once I do!




No comments: