Friday, January 25, 2019

Riki Top

Blue is one of my capsule colours, but I don't actually have a lot of blue tops to go with my blue pants, especially longer sleeve tops. I went to Fabricland for something. I think thread for the last thing I was working on? And looked in the clearance racks at the very back. There was a bit of something left on a bolt. It had a spongy textured feel, stretch but not too stretchy. On the bill it says "Cruise Control" and there was 1.5m at $5/m. I liked the print and the fabric had a neat feel to it.


 I did the "Riki" dress again by George + Ginger.   With no pockets though that would be cool. I toyed with which way to have the stripes going. They had the most stretch with the stripes horizontal so I did that for the side pieces because they are bigger than the front pieces and I thought I'd want the stretch more there. I really had a hard time thinking about it. I wanted the stretch over my chest too. There is stretch that way, and in the end, it probably didn't matter.
 I feel a bit of tugging at the front of the armholes. Maybe because it's a thicker fabric?
I thought I had done a sway back adjustment and I didn't notice pooling on my original dress. It could be because it is perhaps a smidge too snug, being that it's a thicker fabric. 

 This angle isn't bad, but I really felt that my side view made me look large. The bottom of the shirt flares out. Perhaps because it's a dress pattern. And I'm just not sure about the princess seam placement. I believe I actually moved the seam over towards the centre (cut a bit off the side front and added it to the front middle piece. I just feel really wide in this top, more so than in the dress.

 Trying some model moves.
I think I was eating a cookie. Which could also be why it's a smidge too snug.

For the sleeves, I added elastic in the sleeve hems. I love the idea of 3/4 sleeves but I always push them up. I didn't want them to be a floppy mess when they fall down though LOL. Not sure it was needed.


I actually topstitched the neckband on this one. I don't normally do this, but since this had a high polyester/nylon content I couldn't press the seam a whole lot and it seemed to be flipping out a bit. I also lowered the neckline a smidge from the original.

Megan said this top is really good, so that's great. I'm pretty sure I won't wear it with my blue (or white, or white and blue) shorts, but it's prefect for my blue pants.

No comments: