Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Charity Blanket

I've got some blankets to donate! I'll just do one for this post.
 This one uses yarn from the big donation. It weighs in at a whopping 573gr.  I know the pink/brown/cream yarn is Loops & Threads "Impeccable" (I think).
I made it on the SK155, three panels of 46 sts (I believe), at T5 with a gauge of 16st/4", 23 rows/4". I'm not 100% certain it really was T5. That's what I used, but sometimes the tension dial comes out of groove. 
To join the panels, I used the String of Hearts by Diana Sullivan. I think the edging looks very similar to her cable edging. I cast on 3 sts, knit 6 rows, pick up 3 stitches/rows starting with the edge st of the trim and place them on the hooks with the original 3 sts. Knit 6 rows.

 That lumpy part towards the bottom is where the end meets the start. Diana doesn't say how to do it.
 This blanket ended up a bit wider than the 35 or 36" it should have been. The panel joining did not exactly take away 1/2 a stitch on each side like seaming does. There's actually a gap between the panels.
 This might have been the join. It'll do for now.
 Another thing she doesn't explain is how to end the hearts. I did a few rows of  waste yarn, then when I was doing the edging, I ripped out the waste yarn and saw I needed to take out a few rows of the hearts.
If I had followed the advice I give others, I would have tried the edging on a swatch. Turns out picking up in each stitch was too many. Steam helped.
Adding a trim doesn't always mean the curl magically disappears. It still required a good steaming, and there is still a bit of rolling.
This blanket used a lot more yarn than I thought it would. I had the variegated from the donation, plus some from before. Of course it's a different dye lot. I interspersed it with the newer yarn. Carried the yarn up the side, or cut it when I wanted to do a large patch of one of the yarns. The beige and pink were also from the donation. Of course, the pink isn't an exact match. There never is exact matches for variegated yarns. I don't know why.

Yarn In:  2238gr
Yarn Out:  26gr + 573gr= 599gr
Balance:  1639gr more IN than out
Costs: $15.33/22 days = $0.70/day

No comments: