Funky, eh? I bought that canvas at Wal-Mart. They had a few different, similar patterns, but I just had to have the pink one. I have wanted to make this style for a long time, but there is no one, single, pattern on the internet. In the Yahoo Slingsewing group there is a sketch and most measurements to make a 'psuedo-Ergo', but there aren't detailed instructions, and a few of the measurements are missing, or open to variation. In the DIY forum at http://www.thebabywearer.com/ there is a bit of a fuss about copying commercial carriers (like the Beco), and posting the measurements. One woman had made an awesome carrier with a similar fabric, based on her Beco. She had said she' d post instructions, but it's been a few months now. So, I gathered up all the measurements I could find from different posts, and all the different tips, and created my own!!! I am so incredibly proud of doing this. There are a few issues, but overall, I can't believe I planned, designed, and constructed this! Me, who two years ago, didn't even know how to cut a long length of fabric to half it's width, LOL.I can't believe how skinny my legs look, and how big my boobs look! LOL. You're supposed to wear it lower, but Megan likes being up high.
For those of you who don't care about the sewing details, you can move on now ;) For those of you who are hoping to find a step by step instruction page, well, I'm not quite going to post that. Much of making this is similar to a regular MT. I will share some of my tips that I figured out, and if anyone wants more detailed info, email me at TracyKM at yahoo dot com.I took all my measurements and made a sketch. Then I took a roll of paper we had gotten at IKEA (I would actually recommend not using rolled paper if possible, even though it laid flat, it has a weird grain to it, making the pieces be ripply once cut out), drew out my pieces to full size, and did NOT include a seam allowance. I wanted to be able to use the tracing around the shape as my sewing lines, so it wouldn't matter too much if my seam allowances were cut a bit wonky. I laid them out on my fabric, traced them, and cut them out. I did notice some errors with the paper parts as I was cutting them, and tracing them on the fabric, but I did still end up cutting the shoulder straps wrong. Not a big issue, the fix is actually an improvement.
The first thing I realized was that if I wanted something sewed to the outside of the straps, or the waistbelt, I had to sew it to the top layer before sewing the sides together. So, I wanted D rings on the shoulder straps, to hold keys, or a pacifier, I cut a piece of webbing, folded it in half with the D ring in it, and sewed through the webbing. I figured that I didn't have to have both edges flush together, the bottom layer of webbing could be slightly inwards. That improved the look a bit, but I figured out with the waistbelt a different way that looked even better.
I wanted to pad the straps with three layers of Fun Foam, wrapped in fleece. I thought perhaps I could sew the fleece to the inside of the strap when I sewed the side seams. That worked, but made for a bulky seam, and there was NO way to insert the Fun Foam. So I unpicked that one, and asked the engineer what to do.I sewed the strap seams, and turned it right side out. We inserted the webbing through the small end, and pulled it through the other end. I wrapped the Fun Foam with fleece, and used my zipper foot (!!) to sew really close to it, and sewed the webbing to the end of this package. Then I pulled the package into the strap by pulling the webbing at the small end. This is how you pull electrical wires through walls, LOL.
Then I pinned the straps to the two inner layers. Yeah, I used two layers of white twill; it's pretty light stuff. Then the engineer and I had a 'discussion' on how to layer the body pieces to sew the straps in and the four body pieces together, and have the right side of the straps with the outside layer of the carrier, because the inside layer is pink Ultrasuede! He was certain I had messed up. I have done several reversible MTs and I have this same discussion with myself each time. I even made a diagram after I got the first one right on the third try, but I've since lost that. I've made another diagram!
My little helper and tester. We went for a short walk around the block, and when we got home, she didn't want to get out! We tried it again today, and again, she was very happy and wanted to stay in longer. There are a few issues regarding the buckles rubbing under my arms, and it's hard to pull the carrier up over her back because of the Ultrasuede, but we're working on fine tuning all that.