Surprised by my mitten find, Rob decided to go back to where he thought he lost a glove and take another look. Sure enough, it was there! However, I will admit to this: I cleaned out the boxes of mitts/hats/scarves, and put together all the matching mitts. There were a few odd ones, which I kept in a bag for a couple weeks (a month or two?). Finally, I knew I'd never find the other red fleece one (my kids had never even worn them; they were hand me downs), so I THREW it out. Uh huh. Guess what I noticed one day last week in the basement? Uh huh.
On another positive find note....Years ago Rob gave me gold hoop earrings, a twisted rope design. Subtle, classic elegance. I wore them all the time, with all sorts of outfits. After being at my parents just before New Year's, I had a shower, and my scrubby cloth got caught in one earring. After my shower I noticed I had only one earring!! We searched down the vent, all over, etc, but it was gone (we thought maybe it flung into the toilet). I was really upset. He gave me new earrings for Valentine's Day, and I REALLY appreciated that as he's not a jewellry-buying type of guy. But they weren't the same :(
This past Friday my parents came to help me re-decorate the bedroom to surprise Rob....and guess what my Dad found on their lawn? Yup, my precious earring!!
So, I can still say that I never really lose things :)
This is a machine knit version of the Cameron Cap that I made earlier this winter. I used the same Sean's Sheep Armytage wool as the hat I loved before Christmas. I don't know why the above picture is so bizarre, but the next one is fine. I still have issues with the fact this pattern assumes your ears are located exactly at the 9 and 3:00 positions. Other earflap hats have the flaps moved just slightly to the back. I like the idea/concept of the hat but not the fit. I also changed a little to try to fix this, but wound up with some strange puckering of the bottom of the earflap, out over the knitted hem. When laid flat, it looked like this:
Mmmm....that looks a lot like the top of a FiberTrends felted clog. Although the moving in off sts every 4th row as you decrease up the top of the clog would be annoying, could you not knit the top and soles separately and then join? (The soles are garter stitch, with lots of increasing; not practical on the machine).
Another hat and fingerless gloves in Wooloomooloo (Sean's Sheep). You can't see the gold strand in the photo above, but you can below. The set was made with just two balls, only a few inches left I think. To do that, I made the gloves first because they are very similiar to the turquoise ones I made already so I knew fairly closely how much yarn to use up. They could be a smidge longer over the fingers, if I had had a third ball. I find it hard to fold back the 2x2 ribbing; there's not enough and it's cast off a little snug so it wouldn't flare. The hat I started at the top; it had a couple rough starts and ended up with 7 increases across the rounds instead of 8, LOL. It's a 1x1 rib. Here is one of the Thorpe earflap hats I made. I had to ask on Freecycle for some yarn to do the crochet edge and braids. I couldn't find the same yarn (Patons Portage; discontinued ages ago), so I rigged up some black Homespun (the lady thought), with fine strands of baby yarn in lilac and purple. It blended in quite fine. The Portage is one strand charcoal, one strand that changes from white to lilac to violet.
I forgot I had this wighead in the basement. Meg does NOT like it, LOL. But it sure is easier to photograph than setting the self-timer or asking Lucy to do it :)