Way back in late June, I decided to copy a favourite dress with a cross over bodice/empire waist. I used plastic tablecloth on a roll to copy an outline of the dress onto. I had this lightweight knit (Value Village find), and cut out the bodice and basted it together. Well, I don't know what happened. Even though I added extra to the bust, it was way too low cut! I decided to scrap it right away and cut a new, scoop neck bodice. I basted the bodice together, and saw I needed some changes, and altered the pattern, but I was confused. I had to add a bit to the bust width, but take out some in the upper chest width, but somehow, it resulted in basically no change to how it fit! LOL.
After I wore it again, I decided to take the sides in a little, and use my new serger to redo the the bottom hem, and the armholes. I wasn't ready for that! The bottom went okay, but there were some things I just didn't know about doing the armholes (clearing the stitch fingers, doing a complete "circle", going over the shoulder seams was rough...). I really wasn't happy with the armholes. For the neck, I decided to follow a tutorial I had just found at ikatbag (I made the dress in the tutorial too!). I had seen other tutorials, but they result in a raw edge on the inside. This tutorial treats the binding like bias binding. However, I did have some difficulty with going around the curves. The end result was okay, although there is some wrinkling on one strap.
It's a nice enough dress, the upper bodice needs the straps angled inwards a bit more, but the rest is good. I started another dress but man, it's giving me a tough time!