Thursday, July 02, 2009

Rolling Right Along...

Back to the Blues, LOL.


I'm trying to finish up projects as my project drawer was getting a little full (okay, there's a few things in there that are older than Meg...).

Back awhile ago, someone on a blog I read posted a picture of items she got in a swap. Included was a card with a picture of a really neat knitted many-pointed star. Immediately I knew I had to knit it! The first place I looked for a pattern was the website of a childhood schoolmate. I didn't see it there, so I sent her a message on Ravelry. Indeed, she knew what it was, and was even working on one at that very moment! LOL.

The Ravelry link, and the actual source. According to my Ravelry message book, I had already started by April 28. I used some Bernat Lollipop and Bernat Baby Sparkle from my stash--leftovers from Huey's baby blanket!! At first I thought I'd alternate each point, one light, one dark, blue...but there's 5 points going around a center point. So, alternating doesn't exactly work.

I did the first point fine. The second point was fine. But the third point? The instructions tell you to cast on X sts, then pick up along the left side of point 2. Well, these are five sided shapes. How can there be a single left side? There's a top left, and a bottom left....finally, with the help of my old friends at about.com I was able to figure it out and keep on going. Till I got to the 6th point. I am certain there is an error in the pattern. I tried what they said, and it created a very odd shape. I tried it my way, making the 6th point fill in the 5th side of the ring going around the center point, and it worked. But, then I got working on other things as I set it aside to wait for me to read how to make the second half. LOL.

Had a hiccup on the second half when I wasn't paying attention. But, got this half finished quickly. It takes me about an hour to make one point. So, 12 hours for the knitting. Then, I used the yarn tails and tightened up the corners where the points meet. I didn't weave any ends in--it's a stuffed toy! LOL. The kids loved it, and don't want it to go in the gift box. I whipped up the ball, alternating the two blues, so it looked intentional, LOL. I might make another shaped toy or two, to make it a more substantial gift--but as there are no babies expected in my family/friends, I'm not in a rush :)

1 comment:

smariek said...

This looks like fun! It's an interesting shape and I think you did a pretty good job.