Meg got a turquoise coat for Christmas, and she either didn't get a scarf, or didn't like it, and I realized I still had yarn left from making a hat that she then "stole" from me last year. It's even a little short on her. I told her I'd make her a scarf. She said she wanted the same pattern as the hat.
I got working on the scarf, doing the same design as the one I just showed. I wasn't happy with it (I was trying to make the one tail longer). Then I realized it didn't have the lace design. So, I started a cowl instead. I had a hard time getting into doing the lace transfers. The decrease is a central double decrease--easy enough. But when you move the stitch over to form an eyelet, it's no where near where the double decrease is supposed to be! I finally clued in. And it went very quick. However, I just knew it was too big. Meg got home from school and I wrapped it around her neck, and indeed, it was too big. Then I tried again, and it was too snug to pull over her head. The next attempt worked. I started with an open cast on, and a loose gauge, and with each pattern repeat, I tightened up the tension one full number, then took it off on waste yarn. I used up every inch of the left over yarn doing the garter stitch borders.
She loves it and wears it. And it used up 38grams of a yarn I can't get more of (Elann Quetzal or something like that). I already included this amount in my previous totals, so I'm not officially down anymore. However, I do have some slippers and a big blanket coming up!
I do figure that I am down to $2.52/day yarn expenditures (Dec 27-Feb 8; 44 days; $111.06)