Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Creativity

My dad really liked the crocheted water bottle holder I made him earlier this summer.  He likes that it's stretchy and fits different bottles, and that he can loop it around the roll bar of the tractor.  He asked if I could make one for holding spray paint cans, on the handlebars of his 4 wheeler (ATV).  He wanted a short handle.

The body of the holder was easy.  I wanted to do something different for the strap though--something that allowed for easy access and to use in different situations.  I didn't have a 4 wheeler handy either, so I couldn't test anything.  I felt that a simple strap like the water bottle holders would be too loose around the handle bar, even shortened up.  I toyed with a wide strap that folded back over the handlebar, so the holder projected forward--like the water bottle holders you clip over the handlebar of strollers.  But how to attach it?  Buttons are difficult with gloves on.  Velcro?  No way.

I came up with the idea of making short ties, all the way around.   This allows it to be tied many ways--directly over a bar, projecting forward from the bar, even on a belt.  For the ties, I chained the length I wanted, then slip stitched back to the top.  I tried sc back up, but it was too bulky.  While it's tied to the handlebars, the loose ties can be used for holding  a whistle, bear spray, bug spray, keys, trail ribbons, etc.

Yarn In:  7837gr
Yarn Out:  39gr + 4834gr = 4873gr
Balance:  2964gr more brought IN than out
Costs:  $227.61/220 days = $1.03/day

Of course, the "Yarn In" and "Costs" amounts are not up to date :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! This would be a great thing to have at a dog park :) Great job!