Thursday, September 12, 2013

Berry Picking Bottle Slings

We went to visit my parents for a few days, and one goal was to go blackberry and blueberry picking (wild berries!  Free, organic fruit!  Yum!).  For blackberry picking, he's taken a 2L pop bottle and cut the top off, and made holes to feed a cord through.  I knew I couldn't have that narrow cord around my neck, so I made a holder for it (could also be used for carrying actual 2L bottles of pop, LOL).

Based on this pattern.

 
This was a little too tall in the body once the bottle got some berries in it, but still usable.

Since my dad had two pop-bottle berry picking bottles, I decided to make a second holder (sling is what we started calling them).  This one, I made the body a smidge shorter, and tried to come up with a way to do an adjustable strap.  I didn't want to have a knot at my neck, and I just couldn't seem to get things the right length. I was also using up some yarn. Not the greatest picture either.
In the long, wide strap, near the end, I made a "buttonhole", then I made a thinner strap which I thread through the hole and tied.
These work awesome for blackberry picking, but not so great for blueberry picking.  Might also be handy for putting clothes pins in for hanging clothes on the line...

Yarn In:  9646gr
Yarn Out:  125gr (aprox) + 5020gr = 5145gr
Balance:  4501gr more brought IN than out
Costs:  $282.79; $1.10/day

No comments: