Saturday, October 18, 2014

Bunny Buddies

After Jenna received her second white mini bear, she requested two more for her nieces.  Or, little bunnies would be cute too, she though.  Similar, but not quite identical.  At first, I was considering pink and peach, but I didn't have two yarns similar enough.  Digging through my stash, I came up with these two balls of Patons Lace.  Single strand was too flimsy, so I tried one strand of each.  I started with the belly, and I was picturing this long legged bear that Megan has.  The belly has a cute bulge and I tried to replicate that, while switching to two strands of the same colour for the front.  It wasn't as successful as I had hoped, but still cute.  I noticed that the two strands of beige did not stand out as well as the two strands of white.  Interesting how that works.
"Did you see what Miffy wore to the dance?  Always, the same dress!"

 Then I moved on to the legs.  Starting at the bottom, I wanted a long, narrow foot.  I sort of got what I wanted, and did one with each colour combo.  Then, for some reason, I moved on to the head.
Maybe if we hide here, no one will see us!

 When I came back to do the 3rd and 4th leg, I couldn't get them to match the first two.  So, I came up with the "design element" of one leg of each combo!  That way the foot shape would match on each bunny and by having one element that matched the other bunny, it really tied them together.
 Uh Oh!  Busted!  Faces to the wall, hands up!

The faces have the solid colours at the noses, and again, the tan didn't show as well as the white.  The facial features were done a little darker on the tan bunny to help them stand out a bit.
"You're my hero!"

The arms were easy, just doubled the colour for the tips. 

The ears were a bit of a challenge, but not difficult.  I pictured a long floppy ear, rounding out at the bottom, with a patch of the solid colour on the inside of each.  To keep them flat and hide the ends, I knit them in the round.  They weren't quite as floppy as I imagined, but still adorable!  The tails were mini pompoms made using the fork technique.  First time I've done that.  Don't double wrap the centre!  Then, like I always do, I steamed the pompom to fluff it up.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these bunnies.  They're perfect size to sit in your hand or go in a purse.  The sequins are cute, the tails are adorable, and the different facial expressions make them each unique.  One bunny, on it's own, is adorable, but put the two together?  Awwww!!  Totally adorabubs!

Yarn In:   7547gr
Yarn Out: 53gr + 3161gr = 3214gr
Balance: 4333gr more brought IN than out
Cost:  $394.48/285 days = $1.38/day

No comments: