last post. These shorts went together much quicker, though there was some fiddling with the lace trim where it meets the side seams.
For the top, I started with a woven shell pattern that I haven't used. Then I followed a tutorial on making your own wrap top, and drew a new pattern based on how high she wanted it to meet at her side. For the back, it was going to go straight across with elastic at the top. I think it would have also looked cute if the back was shirred. I messed up the first back somehow, making it way too small. No clue how I did that.
I used black bias binding on the edges/straps. I serged the body of the top, wanting to serge the two front layers together so I wouldn't have to baste them, and continue around the back. I wasn't going to hem the top, but at least way this would make it pretty quick if she wanted to take it apart again. I took it off the machine and found out that I serged the inside front panel to the back, effectively making a purse!!
|Romper Purse, the hot new trend|
Second time worked, and we realized that the overlap was almost like a large pocket, since it was seamed at the bottom and both sides LOL.
She already asked for it to be taken apart, and is wearing the shorts a lot. I haven't seen the top again.
The funny thing, we remembered after we bought the fabric that when she was really little, Lucy wanted to be called Daisy!