Thursday, July 09, 2020

More Tiny Hats

I wasn't extremely thrilled with the other tiny hats I made on the bulky machine. They're okay, but DK on that machine is not a great fit. So, we pulled out my knitting machine table so I could access the standard gauge. I do have a lot of cone yarn, though I am seriously just about out of suitable DK yarn! A lot of the cone yarn I have though, is not baby colours. Not even in a non-traditional way. Like, grey, dark burgundy, tan...

But I had this pretty teal, and purple. One of these tiny hats takes about 12gr. The teal ones are single strand, one or two of the purple ones are single strands, but then I decided to double strand it. For the single strand ones, I believe I did 60-60 in K1 P1 rib, 75 rows, T1, then bring the RB stitches up to the MB, doubling with the stitches there. Knit two rows, double up again, do that again.  
The cream one was from my box of finished items that never sold. The bottom purpley one was actually from the last batch, but when I washed them, it got hidden in a sheet and I missed it. 

For the double strand, I cast on 50-50 in K1 P1 rib. I started at T0 then moved up every row one notch on the tension till I got to T5 (the first one was T3, the second was T4, then I decided to try T5 on the 3rd hat and I liked it the best). Did 75 rows, moved the RB stitches up and place them on the needles with stitches already. Knit a row, moved over as many stitches as I could before I got bored, knit another row. Doubled up again, knit 2 rows, doubled up again, knit a row and take off. 

Even though they were all done differently, they stretch so much so they will all fit. However, I will do the 75 rows, move the stitches up and doubled, knit a row, and then take off on a knitting needle. I will finish the last couple rows by hand knitting. I need more hand knititng projects and I just wasn't thrilled with finishing on the  machine. We'll see how many hats I end up making!

Yarn In:  3344gr
Yarn Out:  6453gr + 178gr = 6631gr
Balance: 3287 gr more OUT than in!
Costs: $42.35/191 days = $0.22 per day

No comments: