Friday, August 05, 2016

It's Still Hot Here

At the start of the summer, I need a mindless project, something for car rides and concerts in the park. I usually have a pair of socks on the go, but wanted something more. I found this yarn in my stash and knew it was time.  It's listed just as "Grand River Yarns" 100% Rayon.  GRY is an interesting yarn business.  Check out her website! I'm a bit worried though.  The last time I used a 100% rayon yarn from GRY, it lost all the dye when I washed it!  However, the rayon I worked with before, and rayon fabric, have all been very drapey and slippery.  This yarn had a "dry" feel, and more body.  It felt almost like a silk.  And it has a nice sheen.

I started early June, not sure when except that I was working on the yoke, past the increases, on Father's Day weekend when I was at a party.  I finished it two Thursdays ago, at a "Brass on the Grass" concert, but after trying it on at home, I ripped back the sleeves to loosen them.

 As usual, when I went to put it on last night, I found a yarn end that hadn't been woven in!  I had promised the other ladies at the |"Brass On the Grass Concert" two weeks ago that I would wear it next time (which was last night).

I made this sweater once before.  Back then, I wasn't really happy with the way the front top opening rolled and how it was pouffy around the top.  I thought it was just my poor crocheting skills.  This time, I tried super hard to follow the pattern, and it still happened.  When it came time to separate it, I worked the numbers a bit differently so the back would be a bit smaller than the front.  It actually feels a smidge snug across the back when I lift my arms.  And small around the waist.  I did a few rows of crochet around the opening to give a bit more width, but I guess it could have used more.  I also had an issue when I went back to do the sleeves.  The first sleeve, the pattern worked out perfectly. The second sleeve, somehow it didn't work out and I was half a repeat off.  Much fudging happened on that sleeve!
I love the colour.  Everyone that sees it loves the colour.  It's a bit more turquoise than is showing on my screen.  Very deep, like Caribbean beaches past the shallow area.  Sigh.  I miss those beaches.  I have a skein and a half or so left (150gr). 

Yarn In: 1586gr
Yarn Out:  315gr + 4599gr= 4914gr
Balance:  3328gr more USED than bought
Costs:   $74.87/218 days = $0.34/day

No comments: