Monday, June 22, 2020

Shorts


Over the past few summers I've made the girls a variety of shorts, mainly from the Burda 6797 pattern, but I did do one pair of Sinclair Patterns "Moxies", for Megan. They were a little snug in the bum and the pocket doesn't fit her phone, so she hasn't worn them. Great design though. She wanted some new sleep shorts this summer. I made one pair from an older pajama pattern and she hated them. The fabric is a non-stretch knit, like a heavy sweatshirt. I even put a large pocket for her phone, but no. 
Then I bought Winter Wear Pattern's "Endless Summer Shorts". If you're trying to build up a pattern collection frugally, I highly recommend subscribing to their newsletter. Along with Ellie and Mac and Sinclair Patterns, you can stock your pattern library really economically using their sales. 

I know the picture doesn't look like much LOL. That's kind of the point. Basic shorts that can be done in a myriad of fabrics for all your needs. And, pockets! I did have a few issues with the pattern writing, but I was able to muddle through based on my own experience. One diagram for the pocket didn't really make sense and the names for the pocket pieces were hard to keep track of. The decorative placket piece is supposed to be topstitched down on the outside of the shorts, but I don't think a single pair in the (incredibly large number of) photos showed a contrast piece being used so it was hard to figure that out. Once I figured that out, I did them how I've done pockets before, so the piece went on the inside of the front of the pocket, to give it stiffness. It adds a bit of a hidden pop of pattern--you can't even see it here!

Not too short. I might lengthen them for me though. Just a smidge.

This is how much I had to work with. I got the fabric from my mother in law when she moved into a condo. It's cotton, feels like a quilting cotton, not much drape. I made a sun hat last summer with it, and shorts for Lucy too.

This is how much I had after. I believe I made the waist band from a cotton-lycra knit instead of following the waist band instructions. It looks like a lot on its own in the picture, but on the right is my rotary cutter, and at the top center is my phone.

After I made these ones, I made her a pair in satin. Why not? She loves how slippery they are in bed LOL. Might make myself some too!

These are the Burda shorts I made for Lucy a couple summers ago. They aren't drapey like the ones I made from rayon, but the bias binding trim was a lot easier to do since it could take a good press.

She's gotten compliments on these shorts. Shorts are a great thing to make yourself. They take hardly any fabric and can be so versatile. 



No comments: