Monday, October 05, 2015


I've let it be known before that I rarely knit "trendy" items...but as a professional knitter now, sometimes I get asked to. In August I got a request for a pair of slippers.  Pretty simple, she even supplied me with a photo of what style she wanted (for her husband).  It's the old standard slipper pattern that anyone who has been to a church bazaar at Christmas time has seen.  The pattern I located is called "Aunt Maggie's Slippers".

At first, she picked out a colour scheme, but then she found a Bernat boucle yarn online that she liked, but I couldn't find it in the store.  She wanted a blue and grey slipper, with some wool content.  I ended up with LionBrand "Homespun" and "WoolSpun".  I think I used 5.5mm or 6mm.  I didn't want to flatten the Homespun too much with too small of needle, but they still needed to be knit dense for warmth and longevity.

 The slippers used 124gr, not a lot, I think because of the Homespun not being a very heavy yarn.
Had to add my tag!  I also crocheted around the opening, but if you slip the first stitch of the row to make a chain edge, that would be nice too.  I also didn't do the lines of knit stitches that sort of delineate the sole.

Yarn In: 3825gr
Yarn Out:  124gr + 4891gr = 5015gr
Balance:  1190gr more used UP than brought in
Costs:  $42.87 + $145.08 = $187.95 /278 days = $0.68/day

No comments: