Saturday, July 21, 2018

Boxers and Scrundies

My husband's underwear was so bad, the morning we left for our cruise, he was running around town trying to find some new underwear. He ended up with bikini brief style. I'm sure you all wanted to know that. At least they're better than the old tighty-(were they ever?)-whiteys. He did have falling apart sport (knit) boxers. I had bought them for him. He's not too fussy on his drawers, as long as they're not the loose cotton boxers.

I somehow joined a Facebook group for "Stitch Upon a Time", an independent designer. Probably joined for a free pattern. Wonder what it was. They hold sew alongs (SAL) frequently, and put the pattern choosen on sale. Well, boxers and lady's underwear patterns were on sale. I'd been wanting to make my own, but did not really want to just "trace your undies and cut out". I picked up a few different patterns, from men's boxers to a woman's thong and several in between. I followed along with the sew along and made myself a pair of plain black undies (Scrundlewear) and a pair of Scrundlewear boy shorts for Megan's birthday (along with a George & Ginger Lovesick bra for each of us).
Apparently, I don't have a picture of the Lovesick Bras. Megan's was all black and mine was black outside, rose inside. How could I not have a picture.

Christmas was coming and things were getting busy. I had plans, and material, to make lots more underwear. But no time.


First up, Boxerwear for my husband. He had had a miserable Christmas Eve with his family and I was hoping to cheer him up. I had been told this green fabric was cotton lycra, the "same" as the black cotton lycra I had bought from Megan's sewing teacher and we had used for our leggings (did I blog those yet?). Well, it's not the same. There's hardly any stretch, especially vertically. I also did not make any modifications to the pattern. I took the elastic off an old pair of boxers. They fit him, and he liked them, but after a while, they were a little saggy, and they tended to pull down when he sits. 
And....I didn't realize it mattered when sewing, and I mistakenly made them with left-hand entry. He calls them his British boxers LOL. The Scrundies I made for me, to match. However, I can't pull them up high and they sit in a weird place on my fluffy belly. So I don't wear them.
I created a little wedge in the lower back seam for a "large butt adjustment" and took the back rise up a bit too. Made sure to make them right-hand entry this time! He liked them much better. The striped material is left over from Hugh's shirt. 

I also made a pair with a covered elastic waist. These are also from material leftover from another of Hugh's shirts . It feels like a rayon blend. 

I had to get back to making me some! These are all rayon scraps leftovers. So comfy! I can match my husband, my son, and some Buffs I made!

Trying to make the most of a small piece of fabric!!

I cut up a rayon blend shirt of mine that had gotten too stained. Love these!

This pair is NOT from leftover fabric LOL. 

I didn't think it looked lacey until I sewed it up. 

Matching ones for me!
I found this fabric at Value Village. It's SO soft. I think it might be bamboo. The colour is ho-hum though. He doesn't mind and quite enjoys this pair!


Using up even smaller scraps for myself!

This pair did not go over as well. 

He feels the rainbow is too "gay pride" is. I just thought it was a fun way to use up fabric that both had stars. He still wears them. I'm not sure who else sees them and thinks he might be supporting the gay community (which I hope he does...since his brother is gay!).
A bit of fun for me. Had to come up with a nice way to cover the seams at the front since the striping didn't match at all on side. However, these sit too low and don't have a lot of vertical stretch. I really need to add more rise. I did add some, but not enough. I cut the fronts angled slightly off the fold (meeting the fold at the crotch), so there is more belly room. I also made the waistband wider (just easier with my cutting ruler, and I like it), and the leg bands, I cut them so they taper to the middle of the band, which is at the crotch. 

My dad wanted in on the action. I made one tester pair, which I don't have a good photo of, and mailed them off. I had to piece the fabric so there was an extra seam at the side, but not right at the side seam. But he still wears them. The top pair here is "Poe", with ravens, the left is deer heads, and right is moose heads with safety orange. He doesn't hunt anymore but you never know when you might be in the woods and need to drop your pants! LOL. He loves them. Makes sure to wear them for any medical appointments that involve dropping his pants, and to aquafit.

Using up limited scraps for the fly! 



Not sure why it's upside down, LOL! They aren't in real life. Okay, and they're eagles, not woodpeckers, but still. Fun!

More fun with the scrap bag! I had bought a LARGE bag of scraps locally, back in early January. Rob's not into monsters, or zombies, but I couldn't resist this combo. The green is from Urban Custom Fabrics. It's bright!
In the Stitch Upon a Time Facebook sewing group, there is a lot of discussion on boxers. Does your husband go through the gate, or over the fence? LOL. Some people talked about a H opening, and then I saw the new Jalie boxers. and someone posted a great shot of their husband wearing a similar style. So I gave it a try. The nice thing is, there is less fabric in the fly, so even better for stash busting, and the hot weather. Rob was concerned that these boxers are too hot for hot weather (and his office is hot!).  

To help with the heat issue, I got some athletic mesh. This stuff is really lightweight, and so soft. This colour was supposed to be blue, but it's more of a green, I think. When he wears them, the outer band is a little low, I think, but he says he doesn't fall out LOL. He really likes them. I did a hem on the legs instead of a band, so they might fit a bit looser and not feel hot. However, the zig zag stitching has snapped in a couple places. He actually suggested I buy more of this fabric! So I did. The red is gorgeous, and the grey is great too. I don't think he'll like the raspberry, but I think I will! One more pair for him in the works.

No comments: