Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Another Go at an Old Pattern

 This is one of the quickest fabric purchase to wearing makes in a long time LOL. I bought the fabric at Talize (thrift) store on July 22, and wore the dress on August 15! When I bought the fabric, I thought I might use it for another pattern that I was working on updating the alterations for (I did finish that one but don't have a picture wearing it yet), but decided it was too thin for that one. I had always liked Simplicity 3506  but there had been an issue with the fit. I got it out and took a look.

I'm not sure what I had done to the pattern! The seam between the yoke and the bodice was really angled. There was also a line drawn across it, straight. I pretty much chopped off the top of the front pattern piece and redid it (the FBA seemed okay). I cut out the front piece, using the dress line and slide the fabric up to cut out the backs. 

Ummm. My fabric was shorter than I thought! The back was three inches shorter! I went for it anyway, thinking it could just become a top if it was too short as a dress. Good thing I'm short!


I didn't want to do the facings, because the fabric was so sheer. I thought I might do bias binding again, but there wasn't much fabric left over, and I didn't want to deal with the slippery fabric! I serged the edge, then turned it under twice. I did add pockets! I didn't do the zipper, and I ended up taking the back darts in a bit more. The sides could also be taken in a bit but I like the relaxed fit. 

I know it's a little pale, and it's 100% polyester but I like it. It wasn't too hot, despite being polyester. I wore a cami with a shelf bra, and a beige slip under it, and felt comfortable. Though when I took it off, I realized I hadn't washed off the marking dots! They really weren't very noticeable! This is another great basic pattern for quick makes that each look unique. 


I think the wavy lines makes the neckline look a little misshapened...which it could be, considering the slipperiness of the fabric LOL. They lines look pretty neat on the back though. 

No comments: