Sunday, August 14, 2022

I'm So Trendy

 I was struggling with my laptop earlier this spring. It was suddenly out of memory. I took off all my pictures, Cricut files, sewing files, work files, everything. Still out of memory. Had a tech guy look at it, and he said each update of Windows takes up more space and eventually you just run out. It did have a small hard drive, but had been fine for 2.5 years. I really thought it should last a while longer. So I splurged on a really good laptop. Frankly, it's not much different. It has a larger screen, but most of the increase is horizontal and I would have prefered more vertical increase. The sound is WAY better though, and I can plug my camera card in directly, as well as the projectors at schools. Anyway. I was recently going through the USBs that I had saved everything onto, and found some sewing patterns I forgot I had. This especially happens with free patterns, it seems.

This is the Be Trendy halter top from Ellie and Mac. It's been discontinued, so I won't bother linking. Free patterns are a great way to test if a designer's "blocks" work well with your body. Do they design for an hour glass? A slim shape? Busty shapes? And also things like how well the patterns print, go together, are written. I did find a typo in the pattern and a few awkward instructions. I wasn't keen on the wide bottom band, especially since I was doing a solid fabric that wasn't all that drapey. So I eliminated that on my first one, and added what I thought was a reasonable length.

It's a bit short, I feel. And it's obvious I need a FBA, by the diagonal drag lines from the bust to the sides. But I really liked it! I made a shelf bra (totally messed it up of course LOL). Normally I don't like things knotted behind my neck, but this was okay.

I made a second one, a bit longer, and with a FBA. I made chiffon ties because I wanted this one to look a little upscale. I thought I made them wide enough so they'd be somewhat of a feature, but by the time I turned the tubes right side out, they were still narrow (I did widen it out towards the end, but it's not much). I hate chiffon LOL. I am now almost out of the soft elastic I got from somewhere, that I use for the shelf bras. Not enough for one more. Neither of these are lined, they just have the shelf bra sewn to the top edges. The bottoms are hemmed with a blind stitch. 

I really like this top. Simple patterns like this are great for customizing, making mutliples in different fabrics and colours. I'm not sure if I can wear these to work. A little bare without a light cardi over top! But great for in my truck with no air conditioning! We'll see. I have lots of hot weather dresses and tank tops that are suitable anyway.

The pattern is discontinued, which is too bad, but I’m sure there’s probably something similar out there.

No comments: