Sunday, August 01, 2021

Gnice to Meet You!

 I was scrolling Instagram in May and saw something about a mystery knit-along to knit.... a gnome. I don't think I've ever knit a mystery knit along. And I've never knitted a gnome. It was post-winter accessories season, I was bored of charity blankets. So, of course, I had to knit a gnome! Why not?

It'd been a long time since I've used Ravelry, and even longer since I've actually bought a pattern. And how long since I've done cables? I got my wool (didn't knit a swatch), found a cable needle, and got ready. 


This was the first pattern to put on my new iPad Mini. That taxed my brain a bit. How come under Downloads, ProReader says there's 18 files, but when I open it, there's only 4? Anyway, I got going, not always right on schedule, and I struggled with the written instructions and reinforced my love of graphs, but I did finish and post a picture before the deadline to be entered in the draws. I don't think I won anything, except ownership of Gnathan. 


At first, everyone was like, "Why are you making a gnome?!"

Once done, requests started coming in. I knew though that I had to make a Tricolour Gnome. 

This is Alfie, meeting Jase. Poor Jase. He came to use with one blue eye and one brown eye and over time, lost his hand. But we love him. Alfie is named after the ArtSci nightclub at Queen's University when we were there. The new name is The Underground, but that doesn't work for a gnome.

Lucy wasn't all that impressed with Alfie, and I got the impression she didn't want to adopt him for her new house in Kingston. She showed him to her elder sibling, and they thought he was awesome and wanted one too. So, Clark was born. Clark is named after the Engineering Pub at Queen's. 



I couldn't remember which needles I used for the various parts, so they're not exactly the same size. Clark's tassel shows the hardships of engineering student life, I think something happened at the Greasepole. He's a little bit scrawnier, and his beard is covering up his pocket protector :)

Gnathan used a total of 214gr of the Condon's Yarns, but I don't know how much Tricolour yarns were used. Some was from Topsy Farm, some was some other random wool from my stash. I'm pretty much out of Tricolour now, and Rob thinks I'm going to make him for work too. I'm just going to estimate the same for the Tricolour.

On Instagram, I post pictures of drawings I do in Procreate. The first thing I actually drew was a little gnome. Later, I started adding Nomie to newer pictures I'd draw (cut and paste style). Megan thinks I should knit a real life Nomie and take him on real adventures. Maybe. 

Yarn In:  1400gr
Yarn Out: 642gr + 2988gr = 3630gr
Balance:  2230gr more OUT than in
Cost:  $0, $0/day

No comments: