Tuesday, August 17, 2021

It's Coming...

 A few years ago, I made wool mittens to have spare mittens for the kindergarten classes I supervised at lunch. They were a hit. I had stocked up on wool (I also liked making felted slippers). Then I quit. Now I have a lot of smaller balls of a variety of wools. The gnomes I made used up some (and now there's another mystery gnome knit along! Do I join? Give Gnathan a sibling?), but there's lots left. When a pair of toddler/kindie size mitten only takes 34gr of wool, it's going to take quite a few pairs of mittens to use up the wool. Why not? I have six charity blankets ready to go, but they're not accepting any right now, and I don't really have any acrylic worsted yarn for more (I do have some pastel coned yarn but it speaks more baby than senior). 


I used Ann Budd's pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. This is an excellent book if you don't mind not having your hand held every row. I used the second size, and I think 5st/inch. The cast on was 30st. I've started another pair with 32 stitches. I do them two at a time. If I get low on yarn, I'll do the thumbs before the tops, and then I can add stripes in the upper part.

Yarn In:  1400gr
Yarn Out: 34gr + 3730gr = 3764gr
Balance:  2364gr more OUT than in
Cost:  $0, $0/day

No comments: