Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Colourful Charity Blanket

I've made a couple of these "bit of everything" blankets. Since my supply of basic, solid colour worsted weight yarn is actually dwindling quite quickly, I decided to add some textured, fun yarns. I've done blankets before with the fun fur, but there's still more to use up. However, when I dug into my "textured yarns" bin, so many of them said "Handwash". Quite often, for myself, this just means wash on the gentle cycle. These blankets go to institutional settings, so I have to be sure they'll survive industrial washing and drying.


I started this before Christmas by a couple days, and finished....I dunno. Two weeks ago? I've changed how I work the yarn ends in. I used to leave them and when done (or when I just needed a break from the actual knitting), I would duplicate stitch them into their matching colour. This keeps them really hidden, and very secure. But it's very time consuming. Now, I take the new yarn, and the old end, and knit about 4 stitches together. On the return row, knit back a few stitches with both, then continue with the end of the new yarn, knit a few stitches, and a few on the return row. This seems to be working very well and doesn't show too much with all these colours.

One of the yarns had these little sequins on it.  Texture, sparkle, colours. It's a crazy blanket and pretty much used up most of my suitable worsted weight yarns. I still have lots of variegated yarns and that new donation of yarns. I'll be knitting blankets for awhile yet!

Yarn In:  2238gr
Yarn Out:  599gr + 378gr = 977gr
Balance:  1261gr more IN than out
Costs: $15.33/22 days = $0.70/day

No comments: