Friday, April 17, 2020

ID Tags

When you go on a cruise, you get a little card. This is your door key and your on ship "credit card" and ID. It has info like your cruise details, dining room info, and muster station. You need to always have it with you, especially if you have a drink package. Many people get a hole punched in the card and clip it to a lanyard. This bugs me because it looks crappy when you're dressed up, and in photos. For my last cruise (I mean, cruise prior to the one I made these for), I took Rainbow Loom bracelets in colours to match my clothes, put a clip on them, and wore those. Plus, I had my had my phone baggy.  They worked, but had some issues (mainly at the buffet LOL).

This time, I found out that our Seapass cards could not get a hole punched because of the RFID tech. We'd need a little pouch to attach to the lanyard. Most people just use a clear vinyl pocket, but that's not interesting. I saw some nicer looking ones and got thinking. I could make the same thing, but with a clip, and just clip it to my shorts. I found a tutorial or probably just thought about it and made my own template.

I did use some heavy interfacing on one side of the fabric. Place right sides together, sew around it but leave the bottom open. Turn right side out, sew button hole at the top for the clip, sew on the vinyl, fold in the bottom and top stitch around. Easy. So easy, I went a little crazy.

When I had just a couple done, Rob thought I had made one for him (the black one?). I was like, no...They're so I can match my outfits LOL. The girls liked them, picked their favourites, but weren't too sure about actually using them.

I made this one for my mom. I carefully tried to lay out the little bit of chicken fabric that I had so you could still see the chicken when done.  She loved it, and it was a great conversation starter on the cruise


You can see the little button hole I made for the clips. I found out that not all our clips were the same though, so make sure to double check how low to make it before doing it.
I was worried the cards would slide out so the first ones I made were a little snug. The cards kind of stick to the vinyl though. 

I loved using these, and having matches. It was easy to hand to Rob or to the bartender/waiter and made it easy to get the card back because I could say "The one with the fabric". 

These would also be great for conventions, work, etc. It could still be hung on a lanyard. I have my ID tag on a lanyard, but with a whistle also clipped on. The whistle rubs off the printing on my tag. I really should put the card in a sleeve. I'll definitely use these again if we ever cruise again. Rob says he won't cruise again, but I think my mom might be game.

No comments: