Sunday, December 20, 2020

It's Just I A....

 When I was in a community knitting guild, we were not allowed to introduce projects during show and tell by saying "It's just a pair of plain mitts/a dishcloth/a baby blanket". Each item is a commitment of time and a display of talent. You made something that did not exist before!! We could say "It's a pair of plain mitts", but no "just" allowed. To someone with cold hands, it's not "just a pair of mitts". 

This little label I made for my calendar. I like a paper calendar I can throw in my bag and write things in. It felt a little plain, so I took a phrase an old friend says to me, and dressed it up. It means, in Latin, Time Flies.

I did the shadow layers/outset in Inkscape. No fancy scripts, no flourishes, just clean and simple. The green layer reflects the light but is not reflective vinyl. It's not holgraphic but has that kind of look, it depends on how the light hits it.


I posted a design I just did in a FB group, and a couple people said they wished they could design like that but have no idea how. Five months ago, I had no idea either. I really had NO idea. I didn't do anything with fonts, graphics, design, nothing at all. Making a Power Point was  a  struggle for me. I started small and simple--the bottle labels are a good example. I needed labels, and it was a way to explore fonts, clip art, vinyl. If they didn't work, or weren't awesome, no big loss. I learned a bit with each. This label was going to be two layers originally, though I don't remember if it was black and gold or black and green. I think just black and gold. I played with the alignment--the T and the F lined up was my default, but I moved it around and closer together and liked this much better. 

It's simple, it's not a necessary item but it adds a nice touch. Not everything has to be a majestic 9 layer wall art! Just get started. 


No comments: