Tuesday, December 15, 2020

You Can't Catch Me!

 It was feeling like every time I turned around, Gjoa at Special Heart Studio had another awesome design I wanted to do. Let alone trying to do ones from before I even got the Cricut, I couldn't keep up with her current designs! This one was no exception! I knew I needed it from the moment I saw it!

I made a special trip into Michaels' to get brown cardstock. Amazingly, they had a variety pack of brown! However, despite the two dark colours looking different in the package, they were really similar once cut out.

I thought about maybe doing the back in black instead, but someone mentioned burnt cookies... I really wanted to get some textured or glittery papers to make more (but sadly, have not).

As soon as I saw these guys on her website, I knew I wanted to see if I could alter it so it looked like a bite was taken out. My friend Cherie, owns a great boutique, Beadle, and years ago sold adorable felt gingerbread men with a nibble from their arm/feet. They were so cute, I wanted paper versions. 

It took some figuring out, but I managed to do it!! I couldn't just cut off chunks from the arm. There is a border on the pieces to give a smooth edge. 

I did a different combination of papers this time. He's more subtle. I like them all! The girl one came with the original file. It was a great reason to buy some more pens that would work in the Cricut. I bought Staedtler Triplus Fineliners at Wal-Mart. Of course, I'm seeing them cheaper and in bigger sets, everywhere now that it's closer to Christmas. I did have to wrap painter's tape around the pen to get it to stay in the clamp. And, apparently I missed the step about attaching the draw layer to the piece it draws on to. 

Look at the detail These guys have only two layers with the overall design, but it's enough to be really effective.

I still smile every time I see this! LOL! He's so cute!

Look at that nibble! Poor guy! LOL! Changing the smile to a frown would have been too much with this file, but I think he's fine with a smile. I'm so glad I got these done early. I wanted to do more, but I just haven't had time. There's always something new to make!!


No comments: