Monday, January 18, 2021

Figure Skater 3D Layered Project

 I can't believe I haven't posted this! I made it early in the Christmas season because I knew I had to get it done before my surgery. Then I put it in the drawer to hide it and didn't get it assembled right away. 

It's a free design from the incredibly talented Gjoa at Special Heart Studio. She is so generous with her talent! If you haven't subscribed to her website to access her free designs, DO IT NOW. https://specialheartstudio.com/ 

Isn't she gorgeous? Megan's dress this year (and last) is red, but I didn't want to do the skater in red. So I chose a dark red for one of the inner layers. 

There's a total of 6 layers. It's not too time consuming to make but has high impact!

For the silver layer, I used the silver "vinyl film" from Dollarama and stuck it to white cardstock, then cut it out. Such an easy and cheap way to get fabulous options other than plain cardstock. 

I was worried the skater wouldn't stand out with the top ring being black as well. Not an issue though.

Two tips for this (and any layered projects). One--be mindful of how you set the layers down after taking them off the mat. Even make a sticky note, indicating if you've put them right side up. I had to do some turning and flipping to make sure I had the layers correct.

Second tip applies to any layered project. Parchment paper! I learned about using it for layering vinyl and thought "will it work for paper?" Yes, it does! I expose the adhesive on a small section of foam dots, put the parchment paper under the layer, and secure those few dots. Then I lift up the layer and peel the backing off a few more dots. Using the parchment paper means I don't have to worry if one gets stuck because I took the backing off. It's an extra piece of security. I also stand directly over the project to get the best view. And slow down! The first project I made, I went too fast. I wasn't rushing, but I just didn't realize how slow I should go. 

I'm hoping Gjoa will make a male version. I could probably alter the file....but it's her design and I don't want to muck about with it. 


No comments: