Saturday, January 30, 2021

One Makes a Difference

 I like to have a "purse" project on the go, for those impromptu car rides, waiting rooms, movies where I can't follow a pattern. Starting last summer, it's been primarily newborn baby hats. I've used up almost all from the three large balls I bought in the summer. I'm down to just some yellow. 


One end of the remainder was the dark yellow. I didn't like how it changes from dark yellow to the next colour, so I decided to alternate rows with both ends. It lightened the dark yellow but still left it somewhat of an abrupt colour change when the dark yellow changed. 

I used the technique from the helix hat pattern. That pattern isn't the one that I first used. I can't find those on my blog, but I did find this, from 2012:  

...done using a "helix stripe" technique, where you use at least three colours, knit in the round.  Knit 1/2 the stitches with the first colour, then the second half with another colour.  You're back at the start, and change to a third colour.  When you get to the first colour, drop the third--do not twist--pick up the first, and keep going.  You do not get holes.  The only secret is to never, ever frog back by taking it off the needles. 

I was only using two colours though. You can use as many as you want. The key is that you knit around, knitting the last stitch used with the previous yarn, drop the yarn you were using, pick up the new one and knit on. Do not twist the yarns! Just check that the stitches have the same tension. This method does not create a ridge on the inside. It's really nice and smooth. 

This is just one small hat, but you never know who will feel blessed by it, or motivated to learn to knit, or to make hats for donating. It will go in the bag with all the other baby hats. In awhile, I'll contact someone and have them delivered. 

Yarn In:  0gr
Yarn Out: 500gr + 17gr = 517gr
Balance:  517gr more OUT than in
Cost:  $0, $0/day


No comments: