Monday, December 30, 2019

Grey Infinity Top

I love patterned fabric. But it can be hard to find something to wear with it! For our cruise, I wanted to really limit my clothes. But I also wanted to dress up for the dinners! And not the "wear a black dress with different accessories" type of dressing up. I had two patterned skirts that had white, grey and black in common. I also had black pants, white capris, bright pink capris, and grey pants. One skirt was bright pink, grey, white and black; the other just grey, white and black. I think I took just the white capris, which have a subtle "leopard" texture to them. I never know what to wear them with as they look kind of dressy.

I realized I need a grey top. Something that would work with all the bottoms. I decided to make an "infinity" top, similar to the "infinity dress" idea. I found with my infinity dress that it tends to slide up. Without anything to keep the shirt down, I knew this would be a huge issue. I decided it needed to be a bodysuit, in a way.

I found this grey fabric on Fabcycle.shop. Yay for Canadian stores! Yay for affordable! Yay for environmentally conscious!

I opted to do the underwear part using my adjusted Scrundies pattern. I followed tutorials for the top, but basically the underwear replaced the skirt.

It's not easy to photograph LOL. Two really long strips sewn to a tube top. Although I used measurements from the RTW dress I had, this one turned out a bit short. I think the other one had more stretch. Luckily, the underwear and the wrapping the straps around my waist means I get coverage.


 This was on our anniversary. You can see the white showing at my hip and at the front. The grey fabric was slightly different front to back, so I did the straps one way and the tank top the other, for a little tone on tone action.
Trying something fun LOL.

This was mid-August when I made it. Argh, you can see how much weight I put on. Though, to be fair, the picture from our anniversary was taken when we got home from dinner. 

I also made little loops from sequined material, red, fuchsia and black. These were to go around the straps near my collarbone, to gather it up a little. I kept forgetting though. 

I think if I do this again, I'll look for a lighter weight fabric. Maybe something in a rayon.

No comments: