Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Red for Ed

The province I'm in is in the midst of contract negotiations with education workers. It hasn't been going well. One initiative the elementary union is promoting is on Fridays, wear "Red for Ed". There are official red shirts available through the union. As a supply (substitute) teacher, I can get one of these, but...in the True Tracy Way, I want to be a bit different. I go into so many different schools, and some of them, I don't see any of the shirts on Fridays. Other schools, everyone is in red. I don't want to stand out if no one else is in red. So, I thought a simple red shirt without the sayings/logos would be a good compromise. And....I could make it myself so I'd know it fit me!

I picked up some red cotton-lycra from The Fabric Snob..  I will say, it did seem to fade just a little with the first wash. Just a little. I used a TNT, New Look 6807 . The one I made in white cotton lycra seemed a little close fitting, so this time, I sewed with smaller seam allowances from the chest down. However, it seems too big now, especially the back. I like loose clothes for summer but this might be a little too loose.

Sorry for the super crappy photo. I'm just trying to get things caught up.

I wore it last Friday, and it was a good compromise. However, my Friday for this week got cancelled. I wish I had got this done much sooner, but the way things look, it could be a long period of negotiations.

No comments: